Dento Facial Orthopedics
What is growth modification?
Developing problems in the growth of the jaws (either too small or too Big) , affecting an imbalance in the relationship of the jaws and rest of the face. This jaw bone problem goes unnoticed in young age group. Parents are also not aware of this problem. It requires an active intervention.
At SAKTI Dental & Orthodontic Clinic, We can spot subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth. If there are obvious problems which exist that could be intercepted or prevented from getting worse. Dr. Shivasankar may advise you to have your child undergo a First phase treatment. There are some special procedures used apart from braces to either restrict the excessive growth of the jaws or stimulate the under grown jaws. These techniques are useful only during early active growing periods, just before the patients attain puberty. There exist special appliances such as Bionators, Frankles Appliances, Twin Blocks, Face Masks, Rapid Maxillary Expansion for this purpose
In simple term it means changing the size, shape, and relationship of the bones of the face and jaws. Extra oral appliances such as headgear, face mask and chin cup to stimulate or restrict jaw growth. The point to be kept in mind is that it can be employed only if patient is treated at growing age, viz. 8-13 years average. Hence we work on reconstructing the entire face rather than focusing exclusively on teeth.
Customized Chin Cap
Reverse Pull Head Gear
Benefits of Early Orthodontic treatment
The advantages of early treatment are
- Minimize severe malocclusions
- Guiding Permanent teeth into proper positions
- Improve facial appearance and self-esteem
- Correct functional problems like mouth breathing and speech disorders
- Reduce protrusion of front teeth making them less susceptible to injury
- Reduce or minimize the need for extracting permanent teeth
- Reduce or eliminate abnormal swallowing or speech problems
- Correct harmful oral habits such as thumb sucking, Lip biting