Dental injuries are excruciating and must be treated immediately, as delaying them could worsen the emergency. A Dental Emergency can occur anytime and should be treated by a dentist as quickly as possible.
For this reason, at Sakti Dental, we are a group of professionals committed to our patients in providing them with the care they need in any situation that arises unexpectedly. Our team of experts is always ready to attend to your dental emergency at all times.
A dental emergency can include various cases such as teeth that have been knocked out or fractured teeth or sudden severe pain from a tooth.
Sometimes the lips, gums, or cheeks receive cut These injuries are also considered as a dental emergency since they can generate infections or inflammation in the gums if not treated in time.
What is Considered a Dental Emergency?
A Dental Emergency can be defined as any Oral health issue(Problems with teeth or supporting structures) that requires immediate care/treatment. It is a situation that manifests itself as a painful discomfort and unpleasant inconvenience.
In most cases, dental problems have been present for a long time. Still, when they are not treated at the time, the emergency worsens, such as cavities, toothache, loss of a tooth due to a blow, fracture partial tooth, loosening of a tooth, jaw fracture, abscess, bite on the tongue or lips, a foreign body trapped in the tooth or wounds produced by orthodontic appliances, among others.
In any of these cases, the patient must go to a dental center to help relieve their discomfort permanently.
Sakti Dental has highly qualified experts prepared to attend to any dental emergency quickly and efficiently since our objective is to ensure all patients’ well-being and dental health who come to our consultation.
What Should You Do When You Have a Dental Emergency?
When you have a dental emergency, it is essential to remain calm and visit a dental center that can help you treat that pain you are experiencing. At Sakti dental, we propose some recommendations for when a dental emergency occurs:
- In the case of the loss of a temporary or permanent tooth, it is important to keep it moist at all times, if possible in milk, Or else at least keep it inside the mouth(Buccal Sulcus) and inevitably go to a dental center.
- If the emergency is a cracked tooth, immediately rinse your mouth with warm water to clean the area and place cold compresses on the face to reduce inflammation.
- If the person bites their tongue or lip, causing light bleeding, clean the area with water and gently apply cold compresses.
- In the event of pain in your teeth, rinse your mouth with warm water to clean it and floss carefully to remove food trapped between your teeth. Do not put any home remedy that can cause inflammation of the gums.
- If an object gets caught in your mouth, try to remove it carefully with dental floss, but do not try to remove it with a sharp or pointed instrument. If you cannot remove it from the denture, do not force it and go to the dentist.
- To avoid a dental emergency, you should always carry a mouth guard if you practice sports or recreational activities, protecting your teeth when doing sports.
- Avoid chewing ice, hard candy, gum, and foods that can damage your teeth and, if you want to open or cut something, do not do it with your teeth, since with the effort, they can fracture.
Dental emergencies are often unavoidable, and no matter how many precautions are taken, there is always the risk that some of them will occur, not just the ones mentioned here, but of any kind.
Therefore, for any emergency that arises, without a doubt, the most advisable thing is to leave the evaluation of your case in the hands of a specialist in the dental area since, through his knowledge, he can provide you with the relief you long for.
Dr. Shiva Sankar is the Clinical Director and Orthodontist at Sakti Dental Clinic, Tirunelveli with over 18+ years of experience in dentistry. He is also a Professor in the Department of Orthodontics, Rajas Dental College affiliated to, Dr.MGR Medical University. Dr. Shiva Sankar frequently publishes research papers in leading scientific national and international journals.